Embedding hidden information in a QTextDocument

• I need to add hidden information to a document. More specifically, the user should be able to add certain text blocks that contain specific information that can be changed and updated later on. A good example would be the current date or a multi-lingual text block (which displays a specific information in the currently selected language).

I have found a similar question here:
    "Hidden information in a QTextDocument":http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/3428

The last post was particularly interesting:

[quote author="Volker" date="1296040209"]There are no means to leave comments or hidden text in a text document. You would have to subclass QTextDocument and/or QTextEdit an put that information into the output generated by that manually. You will have to parse it out of a to-be-set document manually too, as QTextDocument discards all data it is not supposed to use (ie. feeding your manually crafted text into a regular QTextDocument "cleans" out all the added data).[/quote]

Now I found that the supported HTML subset includes the "meta" tag, which sounds exactly like what I need. But it seems that even this supported tag is scrubbed when setting the html to the text document.

As for subclassing QTextDocument: The destructor is not virtual. Not good for subclassing.

Any ideas?

• [quote author="Asperamanca" date="1341996951"]As for subclassing QTextDocument: The destructor is not virtual. Not good for subclassing.

Any ideas?[/quote]

At least on this issue: the destructor is virtual. QTextDocument is a [[doc:QObject]], and QObject has a virtual destructor. So, no issues there. I don't know enough about QTextDocument to comment on your actual question, sorry.

• My fault, I looked up the destructor for QTextDocument without checking the base class.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.