[SOLVED] How would I go about accessing Ui from another function in a different source file?

• For example: in this chunk of code:

SOLVED by using simple Signals and Slots implementation. See below.

• Try @setPlainText ( const QString & text )@

• Moderators

If your tCamera class is separate from the class which contains the Ui, then create a signal in your tCamera class which emits the QString you want to display. In your UI class, create a slot which receives a QString and sets the TextBrowser's text with that screen. Then somewhere outside of both classes, connect that signal to that slot.

• Thanks mlong. I really appreciate your input on my other threads as well.

• Moderators

My pleasure! I hope this helps. If so, please edit your first post and add [Solved] to the title. Thanks!

• [quote author="mlong" date="1336501102"]If your tCamera class is separate from the class which contains the Ui, then create a signal in your tCamera class which emits the QString you want to display. In your UI class, create a slot which receives a QString and sets the TextBrowser's text with that screen. Then somewhere outside of both classes, connect that signal to that slot.

[/quote]

I've to clarify something about creating the signal. So you how would I create a signal emitting the string? Would it just be something like void sendSignal ("This is a string") ? I suppose if it is implemented this way, the connect function would make "This is a string" a parameter to the slot function, but I was just wondering how a void function with a parameter could transfer information in that way (If I am not misunderstanding anything)

• Moderators

You don't know much about signals and slots, do you? ;) Knowing that stuff is probably one of the most important things you'll need to know to do any substantive work with Qt. I'd insist upon you going through the "documentation":/doc/qt-4.8/signalsandslots.html that covers it. (It's stuff you have to know cold.)

But, in short (though I'm reluctant to spoon feed it...)

you would define a signal such as:
    @
    signals:
    void mySignal(QString);
    @
    (you don't have to write the implementation of this. It will be autogenerated.)

and to use it in your code you use:
    @
    emit mySignal("Whatever text I want to send.");
    @

That signal would ideally be connected to a slot with a compatible signature:
    @
    connect(sourcePointer, SIGNAL(mySignal(QString)),
    destPointer, SLOT(someSlot(QString)));
    @

Edit to add:

Since the code for the body of the signal is generated by MOC, the return type of the signal is void. The string you want to pass in is a parameter because the MOC-generated code knows how to take that value passed in as a parameter and poke it into the corresponding parameter in the connected slot.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.