Sharing data between an offscreen QGLContext and a QGLWidget

• I seem to be having a minor dilemma... It would seem that the ability to create offscreen QGLContexts has been deprecated:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qglcontext-obsolete.html

You can no longer specify a paint device without using this obsolete constructor. It would seem that in the future, QGLContext will not be something you construct in your own code. However, if I don't construct my own QGLContext, I can't share with an offscreen QGLContext and an onscreen QGLWidget, as QGLWidget's constructor only accepts a share widget (QGLWidget) and the only way to specify a context to share with is via QGLWidget's setContext. There are so many different conflicting concepts that I am now dumbfounded and have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do. For the record, using the obsolete constructor works, and not specifying paint device leads to a create failure.

Summary: I want to have an offscreen QGLContext to share data with my QGLWidget. What is the 'correct' and current way to do this?

Thanks.

• Alright, since it seems to remain unknown the 'correct' way to do off-screen contexts now, I have just resolved to using QGLContext's deprecated functionality. I have also decided to drop QGLWidget and instead use QGLContext manually, using a regular QWidget as a paint device for on screen contexts, which solves the problems I was having.

I will probably need completely different code in Qt 5, but for now this works. Any suggestions are still welcome.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.