[Solved] QGraphicsIte setPos , moveBy - how do they work?

• I looked at the "colliding mouse example":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/graphicsview-collidingmice.html that ships with Qt.
    It took me several days to figure out

moves a QGraphicsItem downwards, everytime 'advance' (QGraphicsView function) is called. I don't understand how this works.

(This is not part of the code, but I modified the 'setPos' function slightly to see how it works)

I had to rummage though the code to figure out what was moving the QGraphicsItem. I expected to see something like

to move something downwards, with ypos incremented in 'advance' member function in QGraphicsItem. This seems more intuitive to me. However, it seems this causes the item to move with a constant acceleration.

I also saw another function somewhere else that works exactly the same way (Correct me if I am wrong)

Now this seems intuitive to me. Everytime advance is called, the item is 'moved by' (0,1)

Could somebody explain how setPos works?

• The confusion does not come from your interpretation of "setPos" (which acts as you expect), but from the "mapToParent" function

THIS is the important point:
    The "mapToParent" function converts a coordinate in item coordinates to coordinate in parent's coordinate system (or scene coordinates if no parent)

For example, if you have a mouse "myMouse" at (10,10) in your scene:

• The "myMouse" local coordinates are (0,0), i.e origin of the mouse item
    • The "myMouse" coordinate in scene coordinates are (10,10).

A call myMouse.mapToParent(0,0) will return (10,10);
    A call myMouse.mapToParent(0,1) will return (10,11);

and this is the point:
    @myMouse.setPos(10,10); /* Position the mouse in it's parent coordinate system : (10, 10) /
    newPos = myMouse.mapToParent(0,1); /
    newPos = (10,10) + (0,1) = (10, 11); /
    myMouse.setPos(newPos); /
    Position the mouse in it's parent coordinate system : (10, 11) /
    newPos = myMouse.mapToParent(0,1); /
    newPos = (10,11) + (0,1) = (10, 12); /
    myMouse.setPos(newPos); /
    Position the mouse in it's parent coordinate system : (10, 12) */@

and so on...

Note: In the "colliding mice" sample, a mouse coordiantes system is yaxis = nose to tail axis: combining with the mouse item rotation, a mouse does not only go down, but in the good direction

Perhaps, "The Graphics View Coordinate System":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/graphicsview.html#the-graphics-view-coordinate-system can help...

• Thanks sraboisson! Wonderful explanation. Ah so 'increment' part comes from mapToParent as you showed in the code. I think the reason it did not occur to me was I didn't think the origin changed everytime setpos(mapToParent(..)) was called.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.