Snprintf usage?

• Trying to use snprintf but -QT- Qt isn't recognizing the function. I've included <stdio.h> but I'm using namespace std; due to using vectors. Any help here would be appreciated, thanks.

• Moderators

Moved to C++ gurus, as this isn't Qt-related at all.

• Hi,

snprintf is not a function of Qt, and also not of the STL (namespace std).
    Which platform and which compiler tool chain are you using?

I found this page, which describes that there are versions of printf in std namespace (include cstdio) but I've never seen that before.

• #include <cstdio>
    std::snprintf();

As I know the snprintf is conform only to C99 and C++11, so you have to use THAT compiler. GNU C++ 4.7 or later version is required to this.

• There is qsnprintf(), a portable version of snprintf(); the "correct" way of doing such things however is using QString::sprintf().

• [quote author="Lukas Geyer" date="1331209027"]There is qsnprintf(), a portable version of snprintf(); the "correct" way of doing such things however is using QString::sprintf().[/quote]

Hm... According to this site:
    http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qstring.html#sprintf
    "Warning: We do not recommend using QString::sprintf() in new Qt code."

snprintf is a buffer_overrun_safe function, this is relatively new thing in the C/C++ world, so it can be used only under the newest C and C++ compilers.

• Moderators

Actually, I've found very little use to use any of the printf-related functions in Qt, as there are native QString methods for formatting and manipulating string contents appropriately. Depending on what you'd like to use snprintf() for, there is most likely a native Qt solution available through QString that would be more appropriate.

• Thanks for the help. Can't say I've solved my problem, but to do that I'll be posting a new thread in the Qt Dev forum as the issue is related to the pixmap's loadFromData method.

• It would be:

#include <cstdio>

char buf[4];
    std::snprintf(buf, 4, "foo");
    qDebug() << QString(buf);

or you can use qsnprintf();.

If you want Unicode, you have to use STL:

wchar_t buf[4];
    std::swprintf(buf, 4, L"foo");
    qDebug() << QString().fromWCharArray(buf);

• Moderators

@Morbius said in Snprintf usage&#63;:

If you want Unicode, you have to use STL:
    wchar_t buf[4];
    std::swprintf(buf, 4, L"foo");
    qDebug() << QString().fromWCharArray(buf);

No, you don't. You can simply do qDebug() << QStringLiteral(u"foo");, and please don't use wchar_t if you don't have to. It's not portable and annoying. There are modern replacements like char16_t.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.