Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]

• Hello people! I am working with Pyqt5 in qt designer and I need to save the value of QLineEdit to filter the data in my QTableWidget. Any solution? I am trying to use QLineEdit.textChanged.connect to send by parameter the text received in the input, but it is as if it never leaves said connection, so I cannot save this value either.

Thanks a lot!

• @Leandro-F said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

but it is as if it never leaves said connection, so I cannot save this value either.

Hello and welcome.

You seem to be taking the correct approach, connecting a slot to the QLineEdit.textChanged signal. But I don't know what your phrase above means. If you put a print into the slot and you don't see it maybe you have not connected properly.

• @JonB Hi JonB, thank you! my connection with QlineEdit.textChanged.connect is correct, if I put a print, I get the message; but my problem is that I need to store the parameter (text) of my QLineEdit.

I leave you some code examples so that you can guide yourself:

"""Here listen to the textChanged event and send the text entered 
    to getFilterText"""
    self.lineEdit.textChanged.connect(getFilterText)

"""my getFilterText function"""
    def getFilterText(lineEdit):
        input_data = lineEdit
        return input_data

As seen in the examples, I need to pass the text entered in QLineEdit to a variable, with the event textChanged. If in getFilterText I print the parameter lineEdit (text entered by input), it works, but I need to save it and I don't know how to do it. The method on setFilterText nothing returns. I tried creating global variables that you accessed in the getFilterTextfunction and putting in them the value you wanted and it didn't work. I don't know if there is another method, but I need to do it this way, because I have a sortfunction that will allow me based on this text value, to sort the QTableWidget.

@JonB said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

@Leandro-F said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

but it is as if it never leaves said connection, so I cannot save this value either.

Hello and welcome.

You seem to be taking the correct approach, connecting a slot to the QLineEdit.textChanged signal. But I don't know what your phrase above means. If you put a print into the slot and you don't see it maybe you have not connected properly.

When I talk about this i mean that I can see each type on the screen, but these types are not stored in any variable. I feel like the textChanged connection must terminate in order to save the "changed text" entered by keyboard.

I hope I have explained myself in the best possible way.

PD: I don't speak English xd

• @Leandro-F
    You can save a value into a member variable of your class, like self.input_data. Then it persists.

However, you may not need to here. When you receive the current text in the getFilterText() slot method, there is no point returning it; rather pass it immediately to whatever you have written to "filter the data in my QTableWidget" (like a parameter to sort() it).

• @JonB said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

@Leandro-F
    You can save a value into a member variable of your class, like self.input_data. Then it persists.

I tried to do this, but when printing the value in self.input_data, it did not get any results. This is why I believed that the connection with the slot (textChanged) should end for the entered value to be finally stored.

@JonB said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

@Leandro-F
    However, you may not need to here. When you receive the current text in the getFilterText() slot method, there is no point returning it; rather pass it immediately to whatever you have written to "filter the data in my QTableWidget" (like a parameter to sort() it).

Regarding this, I also need the value of a select, which tells me by which column the data filtering is performed.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Leandro-F said in Filter QTableWidget with value of QLineEdit [HELP!]:

I tried to do this

Please show the code. Assigning a value of a method parameter to a member variable is a simple task:

def getFilterText(text):
        self.input_data = text
        print(self.input_data)

• @jsulm Hi jsulm! This is my complete code, i was refactoring:

//main.py

import sys
    from PyQt5 import uic
    from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QMainWindow, QApplication
    from database.connection import getData
    from functions import insertInDataTable, getDate, getFilterText

class Weather(QMainWindow):
        def __init__(self):
            super().__init__()
            uic.loadUi("./ui/main.ui", self)

self.input_data = None

"""Obtenemos los datos de la BD y los mostramos en la tabla de la app"""
            data = getData()
            insertInDataTable(self.dataTable, data)
            beginDate = getDate(self.beginDateEdit)

"""Obtenemos el valor del input y filtramos la tabla por el mismo"""
            self.lineEdit.textChanged.connect(lambda text: getFilterText(self, text))
            print(f'From main {self.input_data}')

if __name__ == '__main__':
        app = QApplication(sys.argv)
        win = Weather()
        win.show()
        sys.exit(app.exec_())       

And my functions module:

functions.py

import sys
    from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QWidget, QLineEdit, QTableView, QHeaderView, QVBoxLayout
    from PyQt5 import QtWidgets, QtGui, QtCore
    from PyQt5.QtCore import Qt
    from database.connection import getData

def insertInDataTable(dataTable, data):

for item in data:
            rowPosition = dataTable.rowCount()
            dataTable.insertRow(rowPosition)

dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 0, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['id'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 1, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['fecha'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 2, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['secadora'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 3, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['temperatura'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 4, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['temperatura2'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 5, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['humedad'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 6, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['operador'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 7, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['variedad'])))
            dataTable.setItem(rowPosition , 8, QtWidgets.QTableWidgetItem(str(item['batch'])))

def insertDataModel(dataModel, data):

for item in data:
            rowPosition = dataModel.rowCount()
            dataModel.insertRow(rowPosition)

dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 0, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['id'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 1, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['fecha'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 2, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['secadora'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 3, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['temperatura'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 4, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['temperatura2'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 5, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['humedad'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 6, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['operador'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 7, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['variedad'])))
            dataModel.setItem(rowPosition , 8, QtGui.QStandardItem(str(item['batch'])))

def getDate(dateEdit):
        date = dateEdit.date().toPyDate()
        print(date)
        return date

def setModel(self):
        self.model = QtGui.QStandardItemModel(self.dataTable.rowCount(), self.dataTable.columnCount())
        self.model.setHorizontalHeaderLabels(['Id','Fecha','Secadora','Temperatura','Temperatura2','Humedad','Operador','Variedad', 'Batch'])
        data = getData()
        insertDataModel(self.model, data)

def setFilterProxy(self): 
        self.filter_proxy_model = QtCore.QSortFilterProxyModel()
        self.filter_proxy_model.setSourceModel(self.model)
        self.filter_proxy_model.setFilterCaseSensitivity(Qt.CaseInsensitive)
        setColumnFilter(self)
        self.lineEdit.textChanged[str].connect(self.filter_proxy_model.setFilterRegExp)

def setColumnFilter(self):
        column_filter = self.columnFilterBox.currentIndex()

if(column_filter==0):
            return 6
        elif(column_filter==1):
            return 2
        elif(column_filter==2):
            return 7
        elif(column_filter==3):
            return 8

def getFilterText(self, text):
        self.input_data = text
        print(text)

def sort(dataTable, columnOfInterest, valueOfInterest):
        """valueOfInteres: hace referencia al valor ingresado para buscar en la tabla
           columnOfInterest: hace referencia a la columna en la cual queremos buscar el valor, la obtenemos 
            desde el select
        """

for rowIndex in range(dataTable.rowCount()):
            twItem = dataTable.item(rowIndex, columnOfInterest)
            if str.startswith(str(twItem.text()), str(valueOfInterest)):
                dataTable.setRowHidden(rowIndex, False)
            else:
                dataTable.setRowHidden(rowIndex, True)

And this is the result:

cap.PNG

When i said, the value entered in the input its work, but is not storaged in self.input_data. What am I doing wrong?

PD: I tried define setFilterText in main.py, but has no differences. The self.input_data is printed in the first run, but when is modify by input (on textChanged) dont show it. This is why I think the connect signals of textChanged have something to do with it

• I think I know what the "problem" is. I don't see the value after being assigned (setFilterText), because of the print execution order(The print runs instantly, so I can't see the value of self.input_data after modifying it), although the value is assigned correctly.

Thanks for your answers and for your patience!