[SOLVED] Questins about creating a QML component using c++

• Hello,

I want to make a component which requires to use c++. I have read the docs about
    creating components via c++ but i have some questions.

@class HelloQML : public QObject {
    //foo
    bool setHelloMessage(A *a_hello, B *b_hello);//question no1
    C * helloMessage();//question no2
    //will the above work?
    Q_INVOKABLE void doHello(char a, QString b, QString *c);//question no3
    }@

@import foo

HelloQML {

helloMessage: {
    //Question no1
    //what should i add here??
    }
    //Question no3
    //will this work?
    doHello('a', "aa", "aaa");
    }@

A,B,C are my classes which doesn't derive from QObject and I haven't add to them any QML relative code.

thanks in advance

• Moderators

in order for any functions to be available in QML, you have to use either Q_INVOKABLE or Q_PROPERTY. So, "questions" 1 and 2 will not work. You are trying to use those methods as properties, which is wrong. You'll have to declare a property, and then add getter, setter methods, and a notification signal.

About question 3 - this will also fail. You are trying to invoke a JS/C++ method directly in QML, which is not supported. You can invoke methods in assignments (like "height: myMethod(foo)") or in slots. So, here, for it to work, you'll have to use:
    @
    // inside HelloQML
    Component.onCompleted: doHello('a', "aa", "aaa");
    @

Also, your import statement is wrong. It has to specify version number, IIRC.

• [quote author="sierdzio" date="1327128947"]in order for any functions to be available in QML, you have to use either Q_INVOKABLE or Q_PROPERTY.
    [/quote]

My mistake,I didn't mention about the existance of a Q_PROPERTY, before setHelloMessage there are

@
    Q_OBJECT
    Q_PROPERTY(...)
    @

[quote]
    About question 3 - this will also fail. You are trying to invoke a JS/C++ method directly in QML,[/quote]

Correct.This was wrong

I wanted to know if my code will work from the point of view that classes A,B,C doesn't derive from QObject.

• Moderators

[quote author="Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas" date="1327183176"]
    I wanted to know if my code will work from the point of view that classes A,B,C doesn't derive from QObject.
    [/quote]

I don't think I've ever tried doing that, so I can't give you a definite answer. IIRC, as long as QVariant can work with these classes, you can use them in QML - C++ communication.

• [quote author="Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas" date="1327072363"]Hello,

@
    bool setHelloMessage(A *a_hello, B *b_hello);//question no1
    @

@import foo

HelloQML {
    onSomething:{
    //what should i add here??
    //my setter has two parameters.
    }
    }@
    [/quote]

Does anyone know what I should add??

Will this work?

@import foo

HelloQML {
    onSomething:{
    A:.....
    B:.....
    }
    }@

• Moderators

Properties can have only one parameter. They should represent getters and setters directly. I'm afraid your code is wrong again: you open a JavaScript block after "onSomething", which would any QML assignment inside invalid (like on lines 5., 6., and 7.).

Here's a tip that would probably help you most: go ahead and try. Think of a simple, example application and code it to get basic experience. This would make solving this problem a lot easier for you, and also will be a source of fun.

• thank you

I will mark it as solved

• Hello Sierdzio, your suggestions and tips helped me too. I would like learn from you if can start any forum related to Qt Quick and C++ integration. Nicely explained. Thanks a ton.

Hello Giorgos, Thanks for asking your doubt, it clears my doubt too.

Thanks and regards,
    Punit Tak

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.