Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to pass paramaters to "addAction"

• I am lost again in C++.
    My function is declared as such :
    Run_TAB (int )
    and I am getting this error

/media/qe/TSET_QT_LABEL/QT_PROGRAMS/JUNE 4 WORKCOPY 1/CAT/mdi/mainwindow.cpp:682: error: lvalue required as unary ‘&’ operand
    ../../../JUNE 4 WORKCOPY 1/CAT/mdi/mainwindow.cpp: In member function ‘void MainWindow::createActions()’:
    ../../../JUNE 4 WORKCOPY 1/CAT/mdi/mainwindow.cpp:682:69: error: lvalue required as unary ‘&’ operand
    682 | this, &MainWindow::Run_TAB(selection));
    | ~~~~~~~~~^

And it looks as Run_TAB is passed to addAction as
    QKey Sequence.
    I do not get that at all .

It woks fine when Run_TAB is declared as (void) - no parameters.

template<typename Functor>
    QAction *addAction(const QString &text, Functor functor, const QKeySequence &shortcut = 0);
    QAction *addAction(const QString &text, const QObject *context, Functor functor, const QKeySequence &shortcut = 0);
    QAction *addAction(const QIcon &icon, const QString &text, Functor functor, const QKeySequence &shortcut = 0);
    QAction *addAction(const QIcon &icon, const QString &text, const QObject *context, Functor functor, const QKeySequence &shortcut = 0);
    #else

Here is my implementation which gives the error.

QAction *CAT_TAB = CATMenu->addAction(tr("&Bluetoooth  Development (TAB) "),
                                          this, &MainWindow::Run_TAB(selection));

• Moderators

@AnneRanch said in How to pass paramaters to "addAction":

&MainWindow::Run_TAB(selection)

This is a "pointer to function", similar to what you will find in modern connect statement:

connect(this, &Object::foo,
        that, &Object::bar)

This only tells the function what function to call on which object. But it does not tell it what parameters to pass.

And so the same rules apply: you cannot pass parameters in this call - it should be:

this, &MainWindow::Run_TAB);

If you need to pass some concrete data, you can use a lambda:

this, [=]() {
        this->Run_TAB(selection);
    });

• std::bind also works:

this, std::bind(&MainWindow::Run_TAB,this,selection));