Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

MySQL drivers on Ubuntu 20.04

• I've been struggling with getting Qt to cooperate with my MySQL driver for a little while. Here's some context:

• Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    • Qt has been installed through the online installer without any issues to ~/Qt
    • Qt Source 5.15.2
    • Qt Creator 4.15.0
    • OpenSSL 1.1.1j Toolkit installed through installer
    • MySQL package is installed through sudo apt install libmysqlclient-dev
    • MySQL driver (libqsqlmysql.so) has been built and installed successfully through following the documentation and installed using make install

I'm running a very simple project with the following code in mainwindow.cpp

QSqlDatabase db = QSqlDatabase();

db.addDatabase("QMYSQL");
        db.setUserName("JDog");
        db.setPassword("*********");
        db.setHostName("192.168.2.22");
        db.setDatabaseName("test");

if (!db.open())
        {
            qDebug() << db.lastError().text();
        }

The error I'm getting is really odd, it recognises the driver for MySQL is there, but simply displays the error

Driver not loaded Driver not loaded

when I try to open the db. When enabling QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1, I get the following relevant output:

QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so"
    Found metadata in lib /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so, metadata=
    {
        "IID": "org.qt-project.Qt.QSqlDriverFactoryInterface",
        "MetaData": {
            "Keys": [
                "QMYSQL3",
                "QMYSQL",
                "QMARIADB"
            ]
        },
        "archreq": 0,
        "className": "QMYSQLDriverPlugin",
        "debug": false,
        "version": 331520
    }

Got keys from plugin meta data ("QMYSQL3", "QMYSQL", "QMARIADB")
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so.debug"
    "The shared library was not found." 
             not a plugin

I thought the line "The shared library was not found." might have been a clue, so I also made sure all the dependencies could be found for libqsqlmysql.so by running ldd /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so. All dependencies were found.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should pursue? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Welp... it's this line in the sample code:

I was calling a static function and not doing anything with the return value. Should be this:

db = QSqlDatabase::addDatabase("QMYSQL");

• @JohnDog
    You say you looked at dependencies of libqsqlmysql.so but the message said it was looking at libqsqlmysql.so.debug?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

From the looks of it, you only built the release version of the plugin. Is that correct ?

• @JonB Thanks for the reply.

I tried to do ldd on the debug version but it returns not a dynamic executable

@SGaist Thanks for the reply too.

I followed the documentation, and don't see anything about building the debug vs release versions. make install returned:

cd mysql/ && ( test -e Makefile || /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake -o Makefile /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/Src/qtbase/src/plugins/sqldrivers/mysql/mysql.pro ) && make -f Makefile install
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/Src/qtbase/src/plugins/sqldrivers/mysql'
    /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake -install qinstall /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/Src/qtbase/src/plugins/sqldrivers/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so.debug /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so.debug
    /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake -install qinstall -exe ../plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so
    /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/bin/qmake -install qinstall /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/Src/qtbase/src/plugins/sqldrivers/lib/cmake/Qt5Sql/Qt5Sql_QMYSQLDriverPlugin.cmake /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Sql/Qt5Sql_QMYSQLDriverPlugin.cmake
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/Src/qtbase/src/plugins/sqldrivers/mysql'

Doesn't that show it installing the debug version too?

• @JohnDog said in MySQL drivers on Ubuntu 20.04:

I tried to do ldd on the debug version but it returns not a dynamic executable

Exactly. And I think that's the cause of your problem & error message. It is looking at that libqsqlmysql.so.debug file, which is not acceptable. I don't know why. Doubtless @SGaist will clarify :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What do you get if you call file on your debug plugin ?

• @SGaist it returns:

file /home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so.debug

/home/jgrant/Qt/5.15.2/gcc_64/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlmysql.so.debug: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=59b14f1c0abdd042fba77a048bfce8b319a44243, with debug_info, not stripped

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That part looks good...

What about the permission with regard to the release plugin ?

• @SGaist Hope you had a good weekend, thanks for the ongoing help.

Originally there weren't any execute permissions on the debug versions:

ls -l
    total 13084
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 1356696 May 27 15:32 libqsqlite.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jgrant jgrant 7675792 May 27 15:32 libqsqlite.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  112416 May 27 15:32 libqsqlmysql.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jgrant jgrant 1499400 May 27 15:32 libqsqlmysql.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  119360 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlodbc.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jgrant jgrant 1204520 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlodbc.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  115032 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlpsql.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jgrant jgrant 1292544 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlpsql.so.debug

so I modified all the plugins to have it:

chmod -R 755 ./
    ls -l
    total 13084
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 1356696 May 27 15:32 libqsqlite.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 7675792 May 27 15:32 libqsqlite.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  112416 May 27 15:32 libqsqlmysql.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 1499400 May 27 15:32 libqsqlmysql.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  119360 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlodbc.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 1204520 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlodbc.so.debug
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant  115032 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlpsql.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jgrant jgrant 1292544 Nov  6  2020 libqsqlpsql.so.debug

Unfortunately I'm still getting the Driver not loaded Driver not loaded error when trying to open the DB.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Did you get something different in the output generate by QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS ?

• No, unfortunately everything looks normal. This is a fresh install of Ubuntu and everything too, not much else could be interfering.

• Welp... it's this line in the sample code:

I was calling a static function and not doing anything with the return value. Should be this:

db = QSqlDatabase::addDatabase("QMYSQL");

• Lifetime Qt Champion

My eyes are getting old...

The bulk of the questions regarding MySQL is usually unrelated to the wrong use of addDatabase that it passed by.

• @SGaist no worries, thanks for your patience and help! I should have caught it earlier too