Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

What is the differerece in MDI code?

• Here is "main window" defined in MDI example

MainWindow::MainWindow()
    : mdiArea(new QMdiArea)

after mainWindow is defined in "main"
    ( Can somebody give non English speaking native VERBAL explanation of the above syntax? PLEASE )

Here is same in QMDIAreaClass

QMainWindow *mainWindow = new QMainWindow;
    mainWindow->setCentralWidget(mdiArea); 

It looks as a standard MDI example is not build using QMainWindow which would make better usage of Qt. .

• Moderators

@AnneRanch said in What is the differerece in MDI code?:

Here is "main window" defined in MDI example

MainWindow::MainWindow()
    : mdiArea(new QMdiArea)

after mainWindow is defined in "main"
    ( Can somebody give non English speaking native VERBAL explanation of the above syntax? PLEASE )

Can you link to the example?

Explanation: Main window constructor creates a new QMdiArea and assigns it to mdiArea member variable.

Btw. looks like call to parent class constructor is missing.

Here is same in QMDIAreaClass

QMainWindow *mainWindow = new QMainWindow;
    mainWindow->setCentralWidget(mdiArea); 

It looks as a standard MDI example is not build using QMainWindow which would make better usage of Qt. .

I guess the purpose of MDI example is to show off QMdiArea and not QMainWindow, perhaps that's the reason. I have not looked at the code though.

• @sierdzio

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/examples/widgets/mainwindows/mdi?h=5.15\

Reason I asked - it looks as QMainWindow does what the MDI example - use "MDI area" directly - thus could be "bypassing " the application "standard" . Which seems more logical.

But you are correct - the examples are mostly for specific purpose and the "standard " application -> main window prevails in them. Nothing wrong with that.

I like the examples, but lack of comments and explanations why it is coded that particular way sure makes for more traffic here .

I am basically stuck trying to change the MDI "actions" example "default" sub-window to plain widget.

• Moderators

@AnneRanch said in What is the differerece in MDI code?:

I like the examples, but lack of comments and explanations why it is coded that particular way sure makes for more traffic here .

Oh yes, I fully agree.