Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Is QSettings usable with large files?

• I store my object structure in the ini file. Recently I created quite a lot of new objects and saved them. All was ok, but my ini file grew to 630 KB. But now loading object structure from that file takes a lot of time (almost a minute). Is QSettings usable with such large inis?
    Here's example code how I load objects:

for(auto & it: objs)
    {
    	m_pConnection->beginGroup(objectSectionName(it));
    	Signal* pSig=dynamic_cast<Signal*>(it);
    	pSig->setType(dynamic_cast<SignalType*>(m_pFactory->getObject(m_pConnection->value("SignalTypeGuid").toInt())));
    	pSig->setCheckpoint(dynamic_cast<Checkpoint*>(m_pFactory->getObject(m_pConnection->value("CheckpointGuid").toInt())));
    	pSig->m_bAnalog=m_pConnection->value("Analog").toBool();
    	pSig->m_bHardware=m_pConnection->value("Hardware").toBool();
    	int v=QMetaEnum::fromType<ARMSStatus>().keyToValue(m_pConnection->value("StatusOnSet").toString().toLatin1().data(), &ok);
    	pSig->m_eStatusOnSet=(ok ? (ARMSStatus)v : ARMSStatus::Normal);
    	pSig->m_iPriorityOnSet=m_pConnection->value("PriorityOnSet").toInt();
    	pSig->m_sMessageOnSet=m_pConnection->value("MessageOnSet").toString();
    	v=QMetaEnum::fromType<ARMSStatus>().keyToValue(m_pConnection->value("StatusOnClear").toString().toLatin1().data(), &ok);
    	pSig->m_eStatusOnClear=(ok ? (ARMSStatus)v : ARMSStatus::Normal);
    	pSig->m_iPriorityOnClear=m_pConnection->value("PriorityOnClear").toInt();
    	pSig->m_sMessageOnClear=m_pConnection->value("MessageOnClear").toString();
    	pSig->m_iInputNumber=m_pConnection->value("InputNumber").toInt();
    	m_pConnection->beginGroup("CurrentData");
    	pSig->m_cLastDateTime=QDateTime::fromString(m_pConnection->value("DateTime").toString(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.zzz");
    	pSig->m_dLastAnalogValue=m_pConnection->value("AnalogValue").toDouble();
    	pSig->m_bLastBitValue=m_pConnection->value("BitValue").toBool();
    	pSig->m_bLastBitChanged=m_pConnection->value("BitChanged").toBool();
    	pSig->m_cLastBitChangedDateTime=QDateTime::fromString(m_pConnection->value("BitChangedDateTime").toString(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.zzz");
    	pSig->m_cLastArchiveDateTime=QDateTime::fromString(m_pConnection->value("ArchiveDateTime").toString(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.zzz");
    	pSig->m_dLastArchiveAnalogValue=m_pConnection->value("ArchiveAnalogValue").toDouble();
    	pSig->m_bLastArchiveBitValue=m_pConnection->value("ArchiveBitValue").toBool();
    	m_pConnection->endGroup(); //CurrentData
    	m_pConnection->endGroup(); //Object
    	it->m_bActivated=true;
    }

• Turned out QSettings was not the cause of the problem. I used QMultiMap::keys() instead of uniqueKeys() creating a lot of extra useless iterations.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Max-Fedotov said in Is QSettings usable with large files?:

file takes a lot of time (almost a minute). Is QSettings usable with such large inis?

Doesn't this already answer your question?
    I would use a small sqlite db or (de)serialize the data structure with QDataStream instead.

• Thanks. I still need to be able to edit config file manually from text editor. Maybe I'll make caching ini parser, that loads the entire file once.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Max-Fedotov said in Is QSettings usable with large files?:

I still need to be able to edit config file manually from text editor

This just cries for problems but it's not mine :)

• Turned out QSettings was not the cause of the problem. I used QMultiMap::keys() instead of uniqueKeys() creating a lot of extra useless iterations.