G++-4.2: No such file or directory

• I recently upgraded my MacOS X to Lion and then my XCode (which broke in the process) to 4.2.1 from the Mac App Store (I can't recall the version I used before). I haven't used Qt for a while on this computer but, trying to use today gave an error when building. I figured this needed a reinstall as well, so I made a completely new installation of Qt Desktop 4.7.4.

I still get the following error in the issues pane when trying to build/run:

g++-4.2: No such file or directory

I'm sure something is just not set up correctly, but I have no idea where to look. I don't know if this is one of those command line things or if I can fix this using Qt Creator's settings.

I'm very much noob when it comes to understanding how all those scattered files (make, qmake, gcc, g++ all that stuff) gets used by Qt Creator, so don't worry about stating the obvious, I won't be offended!

Thanks in advance for any help.

• I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK there have been some problems regarding XCode 4. I'm don't know if and when that has been sorted out.

• The problem is that g++-4.2 comes with the MacOs 10.6 SDK and is usually installed in /usr/bin. The default qmake spec is macx-g++42, and that points to this compiler. If the 10.6 SDK is not installed, that fails.
    The workaround on Mac Os 10.7 is to switch to the clang toolchain for now.

• Thank you miroslav. I will try to do this. Do you know of any resources that describe the process?

For the record, I have now duplicated the problem on the following configurations:

MacOS 10.7.2 (Lion), XCode 4.2.1
    MacOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), XCode 4.2

Eon

• Moderators

... or you can force the mkspec used by passing a "-spec macx-g++" to the qmake step (which will override the one chosen by Qt Creator).

... or you can create a symlink from /usr/bin/g++ and /usr/bin/gcc to /usr/bin/g++-4.2 and /usr/bin/gcc-4.2

... or you could test http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,11297 and tell me whether that fixes the issue.

I would highly appreciate somebody trying the latter;-)

• I think the underlying issue is the Creator defaults to the macx-g++42 make spec. So Tobias' suggestion to override that with macx-g++ is probably the best solution for now. The only resources that I know of are here in the forum.

• Thanks guys. I tried, but I honestly do not know how to do what you suggest. To "override that with macx-g++". Qt Creator's preferences doesn't seem to show anything like that so I'm guessing what you're suggesting requires more advance command line stuff.

I tried Tobias' link, but a login is required for that (the one for this forum doesn't work for me).

I can develop on my Windows machine for now.

• Moderators

Also "check here":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/12592/: Another thread about this topic, with a better explanation on how to override the mkspec.

• Just submitted a review here, this seems to solve the problem: http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,11297

• Moderators

... and I just submitted the fix to the 2.4 branch. Thanks Miroslav for testing!

• My pleasure :-)

• To solve the problem:

When upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7, you can not uninstall Xcode to upgrade just because the g + + -4.2 to install xcode 4.2.

The steps are:

1 - keep the xcode 3.2, I'm not wrong.
    install xcode 4.2 and above.

PS: If you uninstall the xcode 3.2 and xcode 4.2 install to make any kind of build in QT, you'll get errors (g + + -4.2 no such directory) or something like that.

2 - After upgrading to the Lion remains with the xcode 3.2, install the xcode 4.2 and 3.2 does not uninstall after install QT.

• So I'm having the same issue, has this been resolved yet? I'm also running Mac OSX 10.7.2 with XCode 4.2.1

I tried following this link: http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,11297 But it requires a username and password. Any help without having to do a clean install would be much appreciated,

• I just add macx-g++ and error disappeared, but then make or g++ doesn't see all Qt classes, macros and etc.... Building from Qt creator, Mac Os 10.7, XCode 4.2

Any advice ?

• here with the spec macx-g++ that's not work!

• Hi!

[quote author="alpha_one_x86" date="1331383665"]here with the spec macx-g++ that's not work![/quote]

Could you give a few more details on what exactly is not working?

• I have drop the MAC SDK version, because Qt 4.8 not work with xcode3, and with xcode4 SDK version is minimum 10.6

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.