Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Two Softwares at the same time

• Hi!

I have 2 softwares written in Qt and I am using EGLFS.
    Running both softwares at the same time, how can I switch visibility between them?
    Does EGLFS allow this or just using Wayland?

Thank you for your help!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Good old QWS, that makes the situation way clearer. Then answering will be easier: wayland.

QWS was a window manager so you still need one now since you have a multi-application setup.

You are correct in your analysis of the use of the EGLFS.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

AFAIK, they will fight to get access to the resource. Beside the graphics side of that issue, how do you plan to change from one application to the other ?

• @SGaist said in Two Softwares at the same time:

AFAIK, they will fight to get access to the resource. Beside the graphics side of that issue, how do you plan to change from one application to the other ?

Hi @SGaist!

In Qt 4.8 with QWS I was able to make this switch. My process started the 2 softwares, but 1 minimized and when it was necessary to switch, minimized what was at the top and maximized what was minimized.

In Qt 5 I don't know if there is a way to do this.

I have already looked at a lot of material in an attempt to reproduce this concept, but so far I have not been able to come close to the idea.

I am under no obligation to maintain the idea I described above, but I need to find good arguments to choose another path.

My current system structure, includes 5 softwares being executed at the same time, but each one of them being presented at some point, for a specific function.

I am studying the use of EGLFS and Wayland, I may be mistaken, but from what I saw most companies use EGLFS because of its processing power.

With this, I concluded that the software created by them would be a single software with all the modularized features attached to it.

Would you mind giving me your view on this scenario? Please...

I don't know if I could explain it properly.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Good old QWS, that makes the situation way clearer. Then answering will be easier: wayland.

QWS was a window manager so you still need one now since you have a multi-application setup.

You are correct in your analysis of the use of the EGLFS.

• Analyzing the EGLFS scenario that supports only single-process.

I am considering the idea of abandoning this system of multiple software and I was thinking of transforming each of these parallels into modules within a main software to run on EGLFS.

@SGaist Do you believe that in terms of performance, is it worth the effort?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Not knowing what your applications do, I can't really comment.