Question: overlay QWidget on third party X11 graphics

• I am new to Qt and this forum so with that in mind here goes:

There is a third party library I am using which does some graphics but requires me to pass into it's CTOR: parentWidget->windId() and parentWidget->x11Info().display(). Also in that parent widget I have to setAttribute() Qt::WA_PaintOnScreen and WA_OpaquePaintEvent.

This works just fine, however, I wanted to create a set of overlay controls and nothing I have tried seems to work.

• I can create a new window without a border or background and display controls with that but that requires a compositing window manager and means I have to keep another window on top of it.
    • Embedding this 3rd party widget into a QGraphicsView. The 3rd party graphics don't show up then.
    • QX11EmbedWidget, this seems to be a possibility but I can't find many other uses of it
    • QX11EmbedContainer, tried this, it crashed, and I didn't even know for sure if it would really do what I wanted in the end.
    • Somehow use OpenGL, made a small attempt starting with the overpainting example but did not make much progress.

Does anyone have any suggestions, guidance, ideas? Thanks

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.