Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to move text in QLabel?

• Hi,

I have long text in QLabel, which has width smaller than his text. Of course I don't see full text. For example if my text is "abcdefghij" I can only see in this QLabel "abc" and a half of letter "d". I would like to see other parts for example "bcd", so I would like to move text in QLabel. Is it possible?

• @TomNow99
    I don't think so. You can play about with moving/scrolling in a QLineEdit, even a read-only one, but for a Qlabel I don't see how you could say "only starting displaying it from the second character onward", or similar. I think you would be responsible for changing the text to start from bcd instead of from abcd to achieve what you ask for.

You could try reading through https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwidgets-widgets-elidedlabel-example.html. It's not the same as you want, but food for thought. You could probably borrow the idea of altering what it is you draw/paint from the label. But all a bit complex.

Or, as I said, you might change over to a read-only but not disabled QLineEdit, which would allow user to scroll through the text manually. Or, you could implement a "marquee" QLineEdit so it constantly scrolls through its content for the user, but that's a different matter :)

• @JonB Thank you.

I find a strange solution to move text in QLabel - move a QLabel and have other QLabels, which will hidden that QLabel with text.

My code:

timer = new QTimer;
        connect(timer, SIGNAL(timeout()),this,SLOT(timeoutSlot()));

text = new QLabel(this);
        labelLeft = new QLabel(this);
        labelRight = new QLabel(this);

labelLeft->setStyleSheet("QLabel {background:rgb(240,240,240)}");
        labelRight->setStyleSheet("QLabel {background:rgb(240,240,240)}");

text->setText("Random text, which will be display and move");

text->resize(300,50);
        labelLeft->resize(100,100);
        labelRight->resize(200,100);

text->move(100,0);
        labelLeft->move(0,0);
        labelRight->move(200,0);

timer->start(100);

and timeoutSlot:

void MainWindow::timeoutSlot()
    {
        int tmpPositionX = text->pos().x();
        tmpPositionX-=1;
        text->move(tmpPositionX,0);

if(tmpPositionX==-300)
        {
            timer->stop();
        }
    }

Do you know better solution?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

There's a stack overflow thread about implementing a marquee which might be of interest.