Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

qtcreator and QT apps fail to launch in CentOS with root privilege

• Hi:

I am using CentOS 8.1. For some reason, I must run my app with root permission. I tried
    #sudo myapp
    or
    #sudo su
    #myapp

Both failed with following output:
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
    No protocol specified
    qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :1
    Could not connect to any X display.

Then I tried launching qtcreator, but failed with the same error.

Please note that I am able to launch QT apps in Ubuntu 18.04 with root permission in the same way. Ubuntu outputs the following warning but continues to run the app:
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0

The failing platform is CentOS 8.1. The XWindows is wayland.

Now, the workaround is to log in GUI with root user name. But I still prefer logging in as normal user then run app in sudo mode.

I appreciate if anyone gives some advice.
    Kevin

• @kevinguo said in qtcreator and QT apps fail to launch in CentOS with root privilege:

Hi:

I am using CentOS 8.1. For some reason, I must run my app with root permission. I tried
    #sudo myapp
    or
    #sudo su
    #myapp

Both failed with following output:
    No protocol specified
    qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :1
    Could not connect to any X display.

Then I tried launching qtcreator, but failed with the same error.

Please note that I am able to launch QT apps in Ubuntu 18.04 with root permission in the same way. Ubuntu outputs the following warning but continues to run the app:

The failing platform is CentOS 8.1. The XWindows is wayland.

Now, the workaround is to log in GUI with root user name. But I still prefer logging in as normal user then run app in sudo mode.

I appreciate if anyone gives some advice.
    Kevin

I found the solution already. Just run this:
    xhost +SI:localuser:root

Thanks
    Kevin