Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Accessing label from function gives error

• Hi everyone,

I am new to QT. I created an application by a wizard. Its UI backend was created as below.

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent)
    :QmainWindow(parent)
    ,ui(new UI::MainWindow) {
    }

I placed a label on UI with name lbl. I created a timer and a function called myFunc() to update the time on label (lbl). I want to update the label (lbl) with time on every 1 sec tick of timer. I connected the timer signal with slot (myFunc). In myFunc I want to access the label to update the text with correct time but it gives me error.

I want to know two things, in this auto creation of MainWindow class how can I declare private and public data and member functions and second how can I access this lbl from myFunc().

Help will be appreciated.

• Qt Champions 2019

@Imran-Hassan said in Accessing label from function gives error:

it gives me error

What error?!

"how can I declare private and public data and member functions and second how can I access this lbl from myFunc()" - C++ basics? Is myFunc member of your MainWindow?

You should really post your MainWindow code...

• Let me paste the full code. In TimerSlot() function it is giving error "Use of undeclared identifier ui"

QTimer *timer; // NEW
    void TimerSlot(); // NEW slot
    MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent)
    : QMainWindow(parent)

, ui(new Ui::MainWindow)

{
    //saveSetting();
    loadSettings();
    ui->setupUi(this);
    // this->layout()->setSizeConstraint(QLayout::SetFixedSize);
    const QString time = QDateTime::currentDateTime().toString();
    ui->currentDateTime->clear();
    ui->currentDateTime->setText(time);
    timer = new QTimer(this); // create it
    connect(timer, &QTimer::timeout, this, TimerSlot); // connect it
    timer->start(1000); // 1 sec timer
    }

void TimerSlot()
    {

ui->lbl.setText(QDateTime::currentDateTime().toString());
    }

• Qt Champions 2019

@Imran-Hassan said in Accessing label from function gives error:

void TimerSlot()

Shouldn't it be

void MainWindow::TimerSlot()

?

• @Imran-Hassan

void TimerSlot()

This is simply a global function. You need it to be a member of MainWindow, at least if you expect it to access ui.

• @jsulm and @JonB Yes it should be but in this auto-created code, I am not able to know how to declare public and private member functions and data.

Can you guide me in this particular scenario? I mean using this above code. I can if I create new application and declare my own class of MainWindow but I have already done a lot of work to create GUI so I want to fix in this code.

Secondly this QT is now allowing me to reply within 10 minutes without earning a reputation.

• @Imran-Hassan said in Accessing label from function gives error:

Yes it should be but in this auto-created code, I am not able to know how to declare public and private member functions and data.

The auto-generated code goes into a file named ui_mainwindow.h in your debug/release directory. This is not a file you see or edit in Creator, and you should not edit this file. You have your own mainwindow.cpp/.h which #includes that file. There you declare your own MainWindow class which inherits from Ui::MainWindow. This file is generated initially by Creator, but thereafter is not altered. You can & should make your own changes in your own mainwindow.cpp/.h files.

• @Imran-Hassan I got the answer .... To help other here is the answer

can do that in the mainwindow.h file.

class MainWindow {
    //...
    private slots:
    void TimerSlot();
    };

• @JonB Thanks a lot dear.. For such nice help. Can you upvote this question so that I can gain reputation to ask questions frequently

Anyway thanks again for such nice help