Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Set Dashed Line's Dash And Space Lengths In Pixels Instead Of In Line Width Units

• As far as I can tell there is no way in Qt to set a dashed line's dash and space lengths in any unit other than multiples of line widths. That is a show stopper for me as I need to set them in pixels in order to draw a dashed line with dashes shorter than the line is wide. Is there any way to do that?

I did try to set the dash and space lengths as fractions of the line width, but it did not work.

Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

You should explain what you are using to draw these lines and on what you are drawing them.

• Thanks for the reminder.

It' just QPainter and QPen in a QPaintEvent on a simple MainWindow. I did this as a test. I have very little Qt experience so I wanted to see if what I want to do is even possible.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Can you show an example of drawing you want to achieve ?

• WideSpacedLine.png

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

The example is a single 130 pixel wide spaced line drawn using the Cairo graphics library, where cr is a cairo context. This works with any Cairo line, not just straight lines.

I was hoping that Qt had a similar capabilty.

double dashes[2] = {7.5, 30.0};
     cairo_set_source_rgba(cr, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.5);     
     cairo_set_line_width(cr, 130);                      
     cairo_set_antialias(cr,  CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_FAST);
     cairo_set_dash(cr, dashes, 2, 5);
     cairo_move_to(cr, 200, 200);
     cairo_line_to(cr, 1000, 200);

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Doesn't QPen's width and dash pattern do what you want ?

• @SGaist

No, I'm afraid not. From the documentation: The dash pattern is specified in units of the pens width; e.g. a dash of length 5 in width 10 is 50 pixels long.

And fractional line width units simply don't work. I tried that.

Frankly I am surprised that the developers did this. I can see line width units for dashes and spaces as a convenience, but not at the expense of not being able to specify them in pixels.

Unless I can find a way to use a Cairo context in Qt, I am afraid I am not going to be able to use Qt. So far, despite searching, I have found no information on that possibility.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Based on this file from the Cairo sources I would say you should be good to go.