Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Deploying a Qt Quick Application on a Linux System

• Hi everyone,

I would like to deploy my quick application on a Linux system. I have developed the application on a Win 10 PC with Qt Creator.

Are there specific step by step instructions on how to do this please?

I essentially want to have my application begin after my Linux system boots.

Thanks!

• Moderators

@LoonyToons said in Deploying a Qt Quick Application on a Linux System:

I essentially want to have my application begin after my Linux system boots.

1. Build Linux binaries (the easiest way is to transfer your code to a Linux machine and build it there).
    2. Create a deployment package for Linux.
    3. Deploy your app, then configure your OS to run it at startup.

Step #3 is not related to Qt; just Google how to run Linux apps on startup.

• @LoonyToons said in Deploying a Qt Quick Application on a Linux System:

Start here: https://wiki.qt.io/Deploying_a_Qt5_Application_Linux

Making your deployed app a startup app has nothing to do with Qt itself. There are several ways to do that on a Linux machine. You could write a startup script (in etc/init.d/), create a cron job or use the systemdemon systemd
    Just use google. There are many tutorials, I think, and it's not that hard :-)

• @JKSH Thank you for the quick response. Are there specific ways to do steps 1 and 2? How would I go about building these Linux binaries as well as creating a deployment package?

• @Pl45m4 Thank you. I forgot to mention that this is for an offline system. Are there perhaps any videos that outline this procedure in more detail?

• Moderators

@LoonyToons said in Deploying a Qt Quick Application on a Linux System:

@JKSH Thank you for the quick response. Are there specific ways to do steps 1 and 2? How would I go about building these Linux binaries as well as creating a deployment package?

On Windows, you installed a compiler, installed Qt, then built your code. It's basically the same procedure on Linux. (Use the g++ compiler)

Put deployment aside for now; focus on building and running the application on Linux first. (If it's your first time developing for Linux, expect to spend a few days at least)

I forgot to mention that this is for an offline system.

What kind of system is it?

It might be easier to set up a virtual machine (VMWare Player or VirtualBox are good) on your Windows 10 PC and install Linux there for practicing (Ubuntu is good for beginners)

Are there perhaps any videos that outline this procedure in more detail?

There are tons of videos out there on C++ development for Linux, but I haven't watched any myself so I can't recommend any particular videos.

A search engine is your friend.

• @LoonyToons

The easiest way is to take your project to your linux machine and build + deploy it there (as @JKSH said)