QML can't see font ascender on Embedded device

• Hi All,

I have some problems to correctly visualize the font Helvetica Neue LT Std Font on an embedded device. The problem is that i 'cant see the part of the characters that are in the ascender area of the font, for example i can't see the accent of the char "À". But also for example the symbol ^ above the char "ê" is cutten. Checking the font with fontdrop.info i can confirm that the part of the characters that are cutten is the part in the ascender area.0_1568723941225_font_ascender.PNG

If i run the application on PC, it works fine.
    My embedded device is based on a iMx6 ULL processor. The screen resolution is 800x480.

Below the test code I am using. I'm using Qt5.8.0 both for embedded and PC.

main.cpp

{
        QGuiApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling);
        QGuiApplication app(argc, argv);

QtQuick2ApplicationViewer viewer;
        viewer.setSurfaceType(QSurface::OpenGLSurface);
        // Force orientation to see Maliit in landscape orientation
        QFont font("HelveticaNeueLTStd");
        font.setStretch(QFont::Condensed);
        app.setFont(font);
        viewer.setMainQmlFile(QStringLiteral("main.qml"));

QObject::connect((QObject*)viewer.engine(), SIGNAL(quit()), &app, SLOT(quit()));
        viewer.showExpanded();
        return app.exec();
    }

main.qml

import QtQuick 2.6
    import QtQuick.Window 2.2

Window {
        visible: true
        width: 800
        height: 480

Text {
            id: textEdit
            text: qsTr("ÀÀÀ")
            font.pointSize: 24
            verticalAlignment: Text.AlignVCenter
            anchors.top: parent.top
            anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
            anchors.topMargin: 20
        }
    }

0_1568724216667_IMG_0089.JPG
    0_1568724228025_font_pc.PNG

Thanks!
    Caro

• @carols is it possible that you run any other non-Qt application in that device to see what happens with the font in that case?

• @Pablo J. Rogina thanks for your reply! Unfortunately is not easy for me in this moment to try with a no Qt Application. Do you think it could be related to the configuration of fonts on my embedded platform?

• @carols said in QML can't see font ascender on Embedded device:

Do you think it could be related to the configuration of fonts on my embedded platform?

I cannot tell for sure, but I do remember some issues in the forum due to the actual font file in the device not the exact same file in the PC although having the same name...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Did you check that you are actually getting the font you are requesting on your device ?

• @SGaist thanks for the reply! Yes the font is the one that i'm requesting. I made this test: i changed the font with a font editor, i moved the letter "À" in way that the symbol above the A is under the line "ascender". In this way i can see the letter correctly. So it is a confirm that the font that i'm using is the correct one and that the problem is in the visualization of the symbol or of the part of a character that are above the "ascender" line. Please help!

• After other tests i verified that this issue is related to some problem in the rendering of the font.
    So in the end i chose a simpler solution: i edited the font moving the "ascender" line upper in a way that now all the symbols are under this line. And now i can see alle the symbols correctly!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Glad you found a solution and thanks for sharing !

That's a nice trick !