Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QSystemTrayIcon tool tip not showing on mouse hover

• I have setup a QSystemTrayIcon with a tool tip but it doesn't show up on mouse hover. I'm running Qt 5.8 on Ubuntu 17.04

Here is the setup code:

QSystemTrayIcon *m_pTrayIcon  = new QSystemTrayIcon(this);
    QIcon icon(*m_pImage);
    m_pTrayIcon->setIcon(icon);
    m_pTrayIcon->show();
    m_pTrayIcon->setToolTip(tr("ToolTip Test));

I do not see the tool tip show on mouse hover over the system tray icon. Do I need to capture a mouse hover event in order to have this shown?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@anshah said in QSystemTrayIcon tool tip not showing on mouse hover:

m_pTrayIcon

m_ prefix is usually used for class members, but you're declaring a new local variable here:

QSystemTrayIcon *m_pTrayIcon  = new QSystemTrayIcon(this);

Where is this code executed? Do you have a class member called m_pTrayIcon? Did you make sure m_pImage is a valid image?

• @jsulm
    So m_pTrayIcon is a class member I just added for the purposes of clarity so you could see the type. Yes, m_pImage is a valid image. Everything works fine...I am just not getting a tool tip to show.

• Hmm, I have a program that also uses QSystemTrayIcon, and the tool tip text is shown both on my Windows 7 and my Windows 10 PCs, here's the code:

trayIconMenu = new QMenu(this);
    trayIconMenu->addAction(quitAction);

pTrayIcon = new QSystemTrayIcon(this);
    pTrayIcon->setIcon(QIcon(":/Images/TrayIcon.ico"));
    pTrayIcon->setVisible(true);
    pTrayIcon->showMessage("balloon title","balloon message");
    pTrayIcon->setToolTip("this is the tooltip");
    pTrayIcon->setContextMenu(trayIconMenu);
    pTrayIcon->show();

Edit: sorrry didn't see until now that your'e not on Windows. I tried the above code on my Ubuntu 18.04 with Qt 5.13.0, while everything works the same as on Windows PCs except there's no tooltip text visible :-(

Maybe some design limit in Ubuntu's desktop...

• @hskoglund
    Thanks for the reply! Looks like your using everything latest and greatest. I'm using Qt 5.8 on Ubuntu 17.04.
    Maybe this is a design limitation on Ubuntu. If any of you "QT Champions" can confirm this that would be great!

Also, same deal on CentOS, RHEL, Fedora?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Are you using the Qt version that comes with your distribution ?

From what I remember, the Ubuntu guys used to patch Qt to integrate with their desktop shell.

• @sgaist I'm using a Qt 5.8 manual install.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then, please try the version provided by the distribution just to check if it behaves as expected.

• @SGaist Sorry for the long delay in response as I got pulled off to other issues now I'm back on this one. So to answer your question I tried again with the Qt Version that comes with my Ubuntu distribution and the tooltip still does not pop up.

I'm am using Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome Desktop (3.28.2) .