Planned maintenance: From Sunday 8th December 10:00 CET there will be changes to try and solve the caching issues that have been experienced. If anyone has a problem connecting after this period then please PM @AndyS or any of the moderators.

Tieing the lifetime of an object to that of a lambda?

• I am struggling to understand if there is a way to effectively attach a destructor to the lifetime of a lambda. I can see this being a potentially powerful way to tie objects to lambdas and have the scope of the lambda manage any allocated memory. I know through a closure/capture (not sure I am using that term right) you can copy an object or get a reference to an object. For instance I could do the equivalent of this:

auto lamb = [new QObject()](){
        //some code
    }

However, I would like to do that, but have the new QObject() be destroyed when the lambda goes out of scope. I looked through the website I referenced, but could not make heads or tails if this is even a thing. I am hoping that maybe there is some magic I can do with smart pointers that would allow me to do this. Maybe I just answered my own question:

auto lamb = [unique_pointer obj(new QObject())]() {
        // some code
    }

I know the syntax is prob not right, but hopefully you get my intent.

Can we do this somehow? I could I guess create an object that is a function pointer that uses RAII as well. Or has an operator() defined for it.

• Apparently C++ 14 allows capturing unique_pointers:

class TestObj2 : public QObject{
        Q_OBJECT
    public:
        TestObj2(){}
        ~TestObj2(){
            qInfo() << "I am free!";
        }

};

void lamb_test(){
        std::unique_ptr<TestObj2> u = std::make_unique<TestObj2>();
        qInfo() << u.get(); // pointer not null
        auto lamb = [u = std::move(u)](){
            qInfo() << u.get(); // pointer not null
        };
        qInfo() << u.get(); // pointer null
        lamb();
    }

Output:

TestObj2(0x55d93909c250)
    QObject(0x0)
    TestObj2(0x55d93909c250)
    I am free!

Not sure why second qInfo output is saying QObject though. But it does free the memory when the lambda goes out of scope.

• Okay, found out how to use bind this way too:

void test_func(std::unique_ptr<QObject>& obj){
            qInfo() << obj.get();
        }

std::unique_ptr<QObject> u2(new TestObj2);

// to use bind this way you must pass smart pointer by reference
        auto lamb2 = std::bind([](auto& obj){qInfo() << obj.get();}, std::move(u2));
        // or 
        auto lamb2 = std::bind(test_func, std::move(u2));

lamb2();

I dunno, this is just really cool. I like how you can use bind as well. This makes for some interesting callback options for signals. You could put a bunch of binds in a vector. When you clear the vector the binds and the objects tied to those functors just magically get cleaned up.

• I've been following this with interest and wondered about the lifetime of the unique_ptr. seems like you figured it out and it does what you want. Although you probably want to do some additional testing to verify how it "seems to work".

Personally I think lambdas are way too overused, but that's just my fortran4 bias creeping in.

• @Kent-Dorfman said in Tieing the lifetime of an object to that of a lambda?:

Personally I think lambdas are way too overused

I think at this point I am more interested in the "neat" factor than the utility. I think it will be a nice tool to attach objects as needed to signals, or to graft simpler signals onto more complex outputs. I could imagine this being used as a generator of objects. Lambda capture also reminds me of RAII as used in objects.

So the technical reason for now "cause its cools, and could be useful...maybe".