From 10:00 CET Friday 22nd November we will adjust how the server works to deal with some recently reported problems. Therefore there may be a load problem, if you experience more problems than usual trying to access the forum then please PM AndyS or any of the moderators so they can inform me.

Issues Building Static Qt

• Hi all -

Updated Qt, and ran into problems building a static version.

I tried following the directions here and this is what I got:

C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3>configure -static -release -no-exceptions
    + cd qtbase
    + C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3\qtbase\configure.bat -top-level -static -release -no-exceptions
    Cannot detect host toolchain. Please use -platform. Aborting.

C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3>configure -static -release -no-exceptions -platform win32-g++
    + cd qtbase
    + C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3\qtbase\configure.bat -top-level -static -release -no-exceptions -platform win32-g++
    Bootstrapping qmake ...
    'mingw32-make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I remember running into issues building a static Qt library in the past, but not this particular error. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    For your second try
    C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3>configure -static -release -no-exceptions -platform win32-g++

try running
    "C:\Qt\5.12.3\XXXX\bin\qtenv2.bat" FIRST
    Its in your compiler folder. I dont have mingw installed so dont know the excact path.
    It will set up paths etc. as it seems it cannot find
    mingw32-make

• Hi mrjj -

That worked, though I had to remove the "-no-exceptions" command line option.

Unfortunately, I also got this warning:

WARNING: Using OpenGL ES 2.0 on Windows without ANGLE.
    The build will most likely fail.
    Specify -opengl desktop to use regular OpenGL.

This I have seen in the past, but I don't remember what I did about it. Might you be familiar with this issue?

I went ahead and ran mingw32-make, but got this error:

g++ -static -static-libgcc -Wl,-s -Wl,-subsystem,console -Wl,--gc-sections -o ..\..\..\bin\moc.exe .obj/release/moc.o .obj/release/preprocessor.o .obj/release/generator.o .obj/release/parser.o .obj/release/token.o .obj/release/main.o  -LC:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3\qtbase\lib C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3\qtbase\lib\libQt5Bootstrap.a -luser32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lnetapi32 -luuid C:\Qt\Tools\mingw730_64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib\libz.a .obj\release\moc_resource_res.o

.obj\release\moc_resource_res.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

Any ideas on this one?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    Nope, i only build a static version once a long time ago :)
    Well did you add the -opengl desktop ?

• file not recognized: File format not recognized

that's very odd.
    Did you start clean over so nothing was left from the previous run?

• Yes, I added the -opengl desktop and then got this error:

ERROR: Feature 'opengl-desktop' was enabled, but the pre-condition '(config.win32 && !config.winrt && !features.opengles2 && (config.msvc || libs.opengl))
                              || (!config.watchos && !config.win32 && !config.wasm && libs.opengl)' failed.

ERROR: The OpenGL functionality tests failed!
    You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing QMAKE_INCDIR_OPENGL[_ES2],
    QMAKE_LIBDIR_OPENGL[_ES2] and QMAKE_LIBS_OPENGL[_ES2] in the mkspec for your platform.

I have no idea what to do about this.

EDIT:

No, I didn't run a clean command. Are you referring to a make clean, or to something to undo the configure command?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@mzimmers
    yes something like clean as to be sure it start fresh over.
    Hmm its odd that !config.win32 failed as you did specify that.

• I need to return my attention to this issue. The problem at hand is this error when I run configure:

WARNING: Using OpenGL ES 2.0 on Windows without ANGLE.
    The build will most likely fail.
    Specify -opengl desktop to use regular OpenGL.

I I have my environment variable ANGLE_DIR set to C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.12.3\qtbase\src\angle. assume that configure is looking for ANGLE source, correct? Or, do I need to build ANGLE libraries before invoking the configure command?

Thanks...

• BTT.

Can anyone please give me some guidance? I'm in need of static builds.

• Qt Champions 2018

• @jsulm thanks. The PS script that page references is a bit out of date, so I made some changes to it, but it doesn't address the OpenGL error I'm getting on the configure step.

• Anyone have any ideas on this? Should I report this as a bug?

• Qt Champions 2017

Does it fail if you ignore the warning? I don't recall doing anything special when building Qt on windows (dynamic, but still).

• @kshegunov yes it does fail. I get the impression there's some implicit set-up to be done for the Angle stuff, but it's not documented anywhere that I can find.

• Here's an error message I'm getting during configure:

C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3> configure -prefix C:\Qt\Static\src\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3\qt-build -static -static-runtime -opengl desktop -nomake examples -nomake tests
    Either ensure that llvm-config is in your PATH environment variable, or set LLVM_INSTALL_DIR to the location of your llvm installation.
    On Linux systems, you may be able to install libclang by installing the libclang-dev or libclang-devel package, depending on your distribution.
    On macOS, you can use Homebrew's llvm package.
    On Windows, you must set LLVM_INSTALL_DIR to the installation path.

ERROR: Feature 'opengl-desktop' was enabled, but the pre-condition '(config.win32 && !config.winrt && !features.opengles2 && (config.msvc || libs.opengl))
                              || (!config.watchos && !config.win32 && !config.wasm && libs.opengl)' failed.

ERROR: The OpenGL functionality tests failed!
    You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing QMAKE_INCDIR_OPENGL[_ES2],
    QMAKE_LIBDIR_OPENGL[_ES2] and QMAKE_LIBS_OPENGL[_ES2] in the mkspec for your platform.

Check config.log for details.

So, I gather that I'm missing something related to OpenGL, but I really don't know what it might be.

• Qt Champions 2017

Do you have the opengl dev headers (I think they're in the directx sdk)?

• I didn't have DirectX installed. Now that I do, though, I don't see anything that looks like what you're talking about. None of the files listed here are in the DirectX directory.

I'm completely out of my element here -- do I need an Angle installation as well?

• Qt Champions 2017

@mzimmers said in Issues Building Static Qt:

I didn't have DirectX installed. Now that I do, though, I don't see anything that looks like what you're talking about. None of the files listed here are in the DirectX directory.

Did you by mistake install the redistributables? I was talking specifically about the SDK (software development kit). If I'm not mistaken it [the DX SDK] is also available through the Windows SDK.

I'm completely out of my element here -- do I need an Angle installation as well?

Honestly me too a bit. I think you don't, although I'm not completely certain. If I recall correctly Angle is a software implementation to substitute the GL. I hope someone's going to correct me if I'm wrong.

• No, I installed the SDK -- went into this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010).

I did open a bug report for this (here) though I'm not sure that the assignee fully understands what's going on. I'm just amazed that more people aren't experiencing something similar.

• UPDATE:

I got the configure (and make/make install) to run successfully. On a suggestion from the person handling the bug case I opened, I deleted my existing source base and re-extracted it. I then created a subdirectory for the build, went into that subdirectory and issued this command:

..\configure -prefix C:\QtStatic\qt-everywhere-src-5.12.3 -platform win32-g++ -static -static-runtime -opengl desktop -nomake examples -nomake tests -recheck-all

Then ran mingw32-make.

Both the wiki page on this topic, and the powershell script it references, are flawed. And the build process is a bit fragile: even by creating and using a shadow build, I somehow corrupted my source, causing the OpenGL red herring that was driving me crazy. A fresh extraction was the key, but a couple other points:

• do use the -platform switch when running configure
    • -static and -static-runtime are both needed
    • when in doubt, use the -recheck-all switch

Anyway, this hopefully closes out this nasty little chapter. Thanks to all involved; I'll be back eventually with some follow-up questions on creating standalone apps.