Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Keep created object alive. How?

• Hello all!
    I am running static function from one class that should create some objects and attach it to main function. How to do it in Qt?

main.cpp

int main(int Counter, char *Arguments[]) {

QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling);
    	CustomApplication Application(Counter,Arguments);

QQmlApplicationEngine Engine;

>>>> CustomClass::staticFunction(&Engine)

Engine.load(QUrl(Main));
    	if (Engine.rootObjects().isEmpty())
    		return -1;

return Application.exec();

customclass.cpp

void CustomClass::staticFunction(QQmlApplicationEngine &Engine) {

QQmlContext *Context = Engine.rootContext();

Settings appSettings;
    	Context->setContextProperty("Settings",&appSettings);
    }

In this example object appSettings should be alive in main function scope after finishing of execution of this static function. Beside this the list of objects might be bigger.

• Allocate on the heap and give ownership of the memory to something else (Engine?)

Settings* appSettings = new Settings;
    QObject::connect(&Engine,&QObject::destroyed,[appSettings](){delete appSettings;});
    Context->setContextProperty("Settings",appSettings);

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Or simply let Settings derive from QObject and pass Engine as parent so it will automatically destroyed when Engine is deleted.

• @VRonin Engine is object that is conaining context. I need to hold Settings standalone in main, but be contexted to Engine. Global idea - create standalone objects from static function, keep them alive when function finished and hold them in context of Engine.

Thanks for reply. I am always trying to avoid HEAP. In this case it's might be better to use kind of object-wrapper and in constructor of it do everything I need and keep it alive in main by direct implementation.

• @Christian-Ehrlicher Will try to do it in hour. But the global idea was to develop them like standalone object but inside of main.

• Decided do not making additional complexity. The solution is - do not do anything additional and use plain objects definition inside of "main" function.

Qt Project example published in Github

main.cpp

int main(int Counter, char *Arguments[]) {

QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling);
    	CuxtomApplication Application(Counter,Arguments);

QQmlApplicationEngine Engine;
    	QQmlContext *Context = Engine.rootContext();

AppSettings Settings;
    	Context->setContextProperty("Settings",&Settings);

Engine.load(QUrl(Main));
    	if (Engine.rootObjects().isEmpty())
    		return -1;